Monday, May 28, 2018

Cruel Crown by Victoria Aveyard 5 ✭

Title: Cruel Crown
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy,
Publish Date: January 5, 2016
Pages: 208
Ages: Teen


Rating: ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are reading this series this is an absolute MUST read. This is a novella short that features Queen Song and Steel Scars as well as a short preview to Glass Sword. I have already read Glass Sword and I'm glad I did. I 100% recommend anyone who has an interest in the series that they need to read this. For me, it is all about Queen Song. This whole part is about Cal's mother from her perspective. This part was like reading a tragic horror story that you know the end too but it is still a great read to see it unfold. To know what Coriane was thinking during her whole ordeal, from meeting the boy who will be her husband, to being a pregnant queen and feeling lost and depressed. I think it is really important to see this side because you can see how Cal has parts of his mother there too. 

(Slight spoiler) The Steel Scars section was about our favorite Scarlet Guard member, Captain Diana Farley, code name Lamb. It is also really good to see this side of the world too. You see a young girl who is given her first true task being a commander and gets to leave her father's side. It is her first time doing a solo mission and what that grows into becoming. It becomes the beginning of the whole revolution. Reading this after Glass Sword really helped me understand why she reacted the way she did at the end. Instead of knowing her skill level and prior circumstances. In Red Queen and Glass Sword, you always get the impression she is this amazing spy who has been doing this cloak and dagger for a long time. I loved reading it in this order.

I looked up the reading order of the books and found on Victoria Aveyard's site that she recommended this to be the reading order. It's why I read them in the order I did and I suggest anyone else should too. 
  1. Red Queen
  2. Glass Sword
  3. Cruel Crown (the two novellas)
  4. King's Cage
  5. War Storm
You can buy each novella separately as an ebook but I personally chose this paperback version since all the others I've owned have been physical copies.  I have linked the sample chapter for each book below, that links to the Kindle versions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment