Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Duke With the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan Byrne 5 Star

Title: 
The Duke With the Dragon Tattoo
Author: 
Kerrigan Byrne
Publisher: 
St. Martin's Paperback
Series: 
Victorian Rebels
Genre: 
Historical Romance, Victorian
Publish Date: 
August 28, 2018
Sold by: 
Macmillan
Pages: 
384
Ages: 
18 +
Rating: ✭✭✭✭✭

I am getting to continue my current dragon theme with The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo. This was another NetGalley ARC that I received that I am delayed to read. Super thankful for the opportunity I was given to read this pirate-themed romance.
I have never read a book by Kerrigan Byrne before. I am completely new to the Victoria Rebels Series. So I just want to let you know that you can absolutely pick this up and roll with it. There is zero confusion about other characters in the world. This could very well be a beginning to the series if I didn't know any better. It is written so fantastically. I don't have a wonderous vocabulary like a lot of other reviewers. I am not in denial about that. So there were so many words that I get to add to my vocabulary because of this book. Kerrigan Byrne did a fantastic job, of keeping the Victorian feel by using words that would fit into that time period. Instead of just saying "if she had her preference, the word that was used was druthers. There are tons of little words like that that I appreciated. I have read a Victorian style book and the words used are too close to current time.

I enjoyed this book so much not just because of the personal gain with the vocab, but because of the change for the characters. You have a physically weak and nurturing woman who grows to be strong and commanding a little by the end. You have a man who has lost his memories of his younger years and is only left with memories of pain, torture, being a slave traded off to the highest bidder. He has created a hard life for himself as a pirate. He had become almost revered as a god to his crew because of how ruthless he was. The self-discovery for each character takes a well-planned path.

I think the only thing that I didn't care for was how Lorelei acted the same as she didn't when they were younger. If felt like an infatuation. Although she claimed to have grown up from the abuse from her brother, she still had a girl feel to her. I would have liked her to show a little more of her confidence a little earlier.****Spoiler**** There is another part to her adult character that I didn't like also. It felt like it was put there to add a little extra to a scene but it didn't really have to be there. The fainting I could have lived without. It happened once, and her sister in law said that it happened all the time. And why wasn't her afraid later to make her faint again. I guess if it was later and he had a thought maybe one or two more times like "what if I cause her to faint"... I might have bought it a little better.

This is a great Victorian style read. If you like pirates and whispy shy women,
 this is a perfect book for you. 
Check out below for a Free Sample of The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan Byrne.



No comments:

Post a Comment